IT'S TIME FOR THE FANS TO AIR THEIR VIEWS!!

West Indies cricket discussions
AFRO

Unread post

In light of the latest embarrassment against NZ an idea has hit me. For too long the fans haven't really had a platform of which to air their views and considering the current crisis our cricket is currently facing i believe now is the perfect time for us fans to come together as a single voice and air our views in an open letter to the board.

People here and on Caribbeancricket can chip in and we can put together a letter expressing our disappointment at whats happening and focussing on the changes we want to see in our cricket. Not personal attacks on individuals and stuff, no lets just MAKE IT CLEAR that what we're witnessing isn't good enough and let us outline exactly what needs to be changed in order for our cricket to move forward. here is some ideas..

1. More games in the 4 day competition

I used to cuss the poster "POINT" for constantly going on about this but i must give the man credit, he is spot on with his assessment that our players are pretty much "part-timers" and will never achieve their full potential while only playing six first class matches a year. County players play 16 matches per year...that just shows you the difference right there, imo if the HPC are allowed to play the four day competition we'd have eight teams and they should be playing home and away. That's 14 games per season and whoever comes first in the league would win the trophy instead of having the stupid "knock out rounds" we currently have. Also the last time we played home and away fixtures was the last time we beat a top test team in a series (England 2009)

2. The pitches in the Caribbean

They aren't good enough and need addressing NOW..it's not allowing batsmen to get in a build an innings because the spinners just dominate too much.

3. Preperation for all series must be improved asap

it's killed us in these last two series and will do so again unless the board get a handle on this

4. The selection panel should get no more than two years in the job

the current idiots in the position are totally devoid of any kind of backbone or cricket intelligence..we should use them as an example of not letting selectors get comfortable.

5. batting and bowling clinics should be a yearly event, not just ones offs.

Thus far gibbo has held only ONE clinic with the pacers since he arrived!!..JUST ONE!!..meanwhile no batting clinic has even transpired!!..that needs to change..this is important so that young talents like Gabriel don't show up at test level with problems in his action..that could all be addressed at the bowling clinic.

6. the hpc students need more time at the academy

Three months to hone their skills simply isn't enough and they need to be playing more first class matches

These are just some of the ideas i have!!..feel free to add more. As you know i do communicate with the board on occasions but the simple fact is i'm just one person!!..the FANS need to be unified and send a strong message that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!..

If we can draw up a letter than there are plenty of media outlets we can send it to via email and i can also send it direct to the board aswell.

Jamaica gleaner
Trinidad express
Trinidad Guardian
Nation news
Stabroek
Antigua observer

etc etc!!..plus we could also send it to Wipa, Klass and the Mason Show!!..which i'd hope he could read it out on his show on Tuesday if we get it right!!..

We've got some intelligent fans who frequent both this forum and CC.com!!..lets drop the silly agendas and put our minds together for the sake of WI cricket..we have more power than you know.
Last edited by AFRO on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesiva

Unread post

Some interesting points, Afro...and I'm prepared to put aside our differences to take a look at this.

I would add a few other points:

1) Implement the Patterson Report. Especially in regards to governance. The present structure is flawed, because the WICB answers to no one. There is no one to call the WICB to account, when they act in a high-handed manner, which has been their behaviour over the past decade. The governance of West Indian cricket cannot be entrusted to representatives of cricket associations in the respective territories, because they're only looking for handouts themselves, and they don't have the development of WI cricket as their priority. If we want to win back fan support to cricket, we need to widen the ownership base, and the Patterson report does a good job of that.

2) Get cricket back into the schools. It's all well and good having an HPC, but if the graduates going into the HPC are flawed, we're fighting a losing battle. The WICB need to have a structured programme to get cricket played in schools once more, at every level. When I went to Jamaica College, we had cricket teams for every school year. Now, these schools are struggling to pull together an XI from the entire length and breadth of the school to compete in the schoolboy competitions.

I'm going to Jamaica for a fortnight's holiday in the next few days, but I will look in from time to time. So, obviously, I won't be able to write this letter, but if someone else writes it (Afro?), then we can look at it, and affix signatures accordingly before sending it out. Does that sound like a plan?
Gils

Unread post

lets drop the silly agendas and put our minds together for the sake of WI cricket
Ha Ha Ha Ha haha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: licks :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh lawd, licks :twisted: :lol: :lol: :?: now you wanna talk :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Some interesting points, Afro...and I'm prepared to put aside our differences to take a look at this.

I would add a few other points:

1) Implement the Patterson Report. Especially in regards to governance. The present structure is flawed, because the WICB answers to no one. There is no one to call the WICB to account, when they act in a high-handed manner, which has been their behaviour over the past decade. The governance of West Indian cricket cannot be entrusted to representatives of cricket associations in the respective territories, because they're only looking for handouts themselves, and they don't have the development of WI cricket as their priority. If we want to win back fan support to cricket, we need to widen the ownership base, and the Patterson report does a good job of that.

2) Get cricket back into the schools. It's all well and good having an HPC, but if the graduates going into the HPC are flawed, we're fighting a losing battle. The WICB need to have a structured programme to get cricket played in schools once more, at every level. When I went to Jamaica College, we had cricket teams for every school year. Now, these schools are struggling to pull together an XI from the entire length and breadth of the school to compete in the schoolboy competitions.

I'm going to Jamaica for a fortnight's holiday in the next few days, but I will look in from time to time. So, obviously, I won't be able to write this letter, but if someone else writes it (Afro?), then we can look at it, and affix signatures accordingly before sending it out. Does that sound like a plan?
Mike!!..it's good to see someone is prepard to be an ADULT about this!!..unlike the idiot above!! :roll: ..i'd be happy to contribute to the writing of the letter..but if you could push this idea at CC.com then perhaps more people will get involved?!!..Larr and Gvenkat are journo's aren't they? so they could chip in!!..while Chrissy is well educated and Joshua and Powen know their stuff aswell!!..see what other folks are saying and then we can move forward with it. An open letter on behalf of the fans has never been done before!!..so why not try it and see what happens? publicity from it might just force the boards hand.
mikesiva

Unread post

You have to admit, Afro, you have to do a lot of work to overcome your previous confrontational posts....
:)
Once we've finalised the letter, and posted it in this forum, then I will post a link on cc.com, and invite posters there to indicate their support. But it's better to do it here first, simply because the atmosphere at cc.com can be quite divisive at times.

I'm already testing the waters in the "Heads Rolling" thread there, and already defenders of the WICB, like Commie, are taking me on....
:lol:
But when our letter is ready, then I can post links on the "Heads Rolling" and other threads, to get as much support as possible....
Gils

Unread post

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're late.

I started asking posters for comments 3 days ago - you failed to comment 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Probably because it didn't suit your silly agenda :!: :!: .

http://www.windiesfans.com/forums/viewt ... f=2&t=7481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
It's good to see someone is prepard to be an ADULT about this

Well, Mike always has been tolerant of your childish behaviour in the past so I see no reason he would stop now 8-) .

I'm also prepared to learn from my mistakes and await your admissions of error to Mapoui, in accordance with the behavior of mature ADULTS.
Gils

Unread post

Affers

Big and serious. For this draft document to have the impact you wish for, all fans, at least 90%, will have to be in agreement. As it stands you are in disagreement with 90%of posters, 90% of the time 8-) :lol: .(Joking :!:)

Eg Before we can speak of cricket.

There are historical and sociopolitical influences, both outside and within the WICB, that undermine it's operation and ability to affect positive change in cricket. Mapoui has tried to widen your appreciation of them for some time now.

Eg :?: Why aren't the votes for presidente made public, who voted for Cameron and for what reason. All properly functioning organisations make this type of information known, for the sake of transparency and accountability. As it stands, all types of accusations are thrown about and stick with ease to even the most lettered of individuals within the WICB while WI left wondering why sponsors steer clear.

FYI, I wish Jamaica, along with all other independent nations, would leave the WICB to you dotties 8-) as it go's against many of the fundamental principles of independence. Myself and Mapoui both acknowledge this historically sociopolitical issue but don't agree on it's resolution, while you don't even accept there is one.

Anyway, agreements.

Gabriel was a 1st year HPC student. Permaul too :!: . You say you speak to these people so ask them, :?: Why the HPC isn't in all territories yet, what is their stated objectives and what is their time frame for Test ready cricketers. I think you'll find the reasons behind the delays aren't cricketing.

Pattersons is not the only report out there, so ask them, :?: Why did the WICB knock them all back. The answers should be insightful. These people will tell you a lot if you ask the right questions and are prepared to listen, telling people what they haven't done tends to produce bad results.

The WICB pays to rent private grounds. The board members of these clubs have their own local commitments and allegiances which don't always marry with West Indies cricket :!: . Upon Inquiry you'll find even more non cricketing answers.

Cameron made a statement, on Windiescricket I think, some time ago that said finance restricted more warm ups match's on tour. Standard MO, I expect the same after the Pybus report too.

Ps, Some time ago I made a tentative inquiry about a West Indies Supporters Association.
Many sporting organisations have them and some allow their members to sit in on board meetings, as they have a big voice in both the social and traditional media, which can make it very difficult for a body to carry out questionable policies in the light of public scrutiny. They are all well coordinated and effect change in much the way you now propose. Anyway, have a think about it, maybe do some research on it and :?: tell us what you think. Rally :D .
BallOil

Unread post

I doh think the WICB in any urgency for change...WI aite! Lets not panic and overreact now... Thanks for your concern now run along...WI run things. :P
Googley

Unread post

Gils wrote:
lets drop the silly agendas and put our minds together for the sake of WI cricket
Ha Ha Ha Ha haha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: licks :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh lawd, licks :twisted: :lol: :lol: :?: now you wanna talk :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

The Indian and NZ test tour equates to public flogging of the WI team! All that licks suddenly wake up DS FRO!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gils

Unread post

BallOil wrote:I doh think the WICB in any urgency for change...WI aite! Lets not panic and overreact now... Thanks for your concern now run along...WI run things. :P
:lol: :lol: