Gabriel/Blackwood vs Holder/Shilly

West Indies cricket discussions
mikesiva

Unread post

It was a curious decision by the selectors to drop Gabriel and Blackwood, and to replace them with Holder and Shilly.

So, in order to compare their performances, I will look at the match figures of the former duo in the second Test, and compare them to the match figures of the latter duo in the third.

Here's what we have so far:

Gabriel/Blackwood - 63 runs and 4-109

Holder/Shilly - 0-77 so far....

Let's see what happens as the match progresses.
mapoui2

Unread post

so far it looks like Holder is not only not ready but that he is the least of the young fast bowlers coming up.

Holder appears to be another favouritism pik. we have been fooled by a lot of hype about th that tall kid. he was given 10 overs and rather generously too, because he never threatened to take a wicket

Shilly took the top wickets at Sabina. he bowled out all the Kiwi top batsmen. so he just may be out of sync from the break by being dropped and now back in again

He may prove me wrong but I am not holding my breath on Holder. he does not look god enough to me
Last edited by mapoui2 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesiva

Unread post

As you guys know, I've been unimpressed with Holder for some time now....

Afro tells us he's gained a yard of pace, but nearly every delivery that came out of his hand was only in the 120s. That's not good enough, IMHO. Sure, because of his height, he's hard to get away, but that only serves a purpose in limited overs cricket. He needs to be bowling in the 130s to be a serious wicket-taking prospect. Garner was a tall man too, but he could bowl in the 130s. I was at Sabina Park to watch him having Hadlee doing all sorts of gyrations to escape Garner's hostile bowling in 1986. I can't see Holder doing that....

Morkel is a tall man too, but he bowls much faster than Holder.
mapoui2

Unread post

I was so dam disappointed..top speed 128 mph. ridiculous! :o
:x :x :x

holder reminds me of a tall guy from up the dots who played for west indies. the man as a turtle
mapoui2

Unread post

what was his name..Allen or something :o
mikesiva

Unread post

mapoui2 wrote:what was his name..Allen or something :o
There were two Vincentians, Ian Allen and Cameron Cuffy, who were equally useless!
:lol:
Are you thinking about Cuffy? He was tall and wutless!
mapoui2

Unread post

dats the one..cameron cuffy..huge guy but absolutely slow :o :o
mikesiva

Unread post

Here's what we have so far:

Gabriel/Blackwood - 63 runs and 4-109

First innings

Holder/Shilly - 0-77 and 48 runs....

Let's see what happens as the match progresses.
nick2020

Unread post

Wouldn't it be a better exercise to look at the particulars of Gabriel vs Holder?

Holder is a good prospect. He can bat as he has demonstrated in the past and has good control of the ball. He does lack speed but if given a choice I would pick Holder over Gabriel.

But the numbers do not tell the full story. Holder had better numbers than Taylor in the first inns. Roach, who some people were not happy with, is the best bowler in this test.

Blackwood was unfairly dropped. But the selectors wanted to win instead of develop. Sad.
bossman19TT

Unread post

nick2020 wrote:Wouldn't it be a better exercise to look at the particulars of Gabriel vs Holder?

Holder is a good prospect. He can bat as he has demonstrated in the past and has good control of the ball. He does lack speed but if given a choice I would pick Holder over Gabriel.

But the numbers do not tell the full story. Holder had better numbers than Taylor in the first inns. Roach, who some people were not happy with, is the best bowler in this test.

Blackwood was unfairly dropped. But the selectors wanted to win instead of develop. Sad.
Bowlers should NOT be picked on battin ability, but WICKET TAKIN ABILITY. Good control is fine fuh limited overs, but wicket takin ability is required fuh Tests...someting Holder does not yet appear to have.

Shilly should be finished after dis series. Never rated him, it was only ever his doosra which caused trouble an brought wickets. TIME TO GO