West Indies squad for ODI series in India

West Indies cricket discussions
WIndiesFans.com

Unread post

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – The selection panel of the West Indies Cricket Board announced on Tuesday, a 15-member West Indies squad for the upcoming series of five One-day Internationals on the tour of India.

Read full article...
mikesiva

Unread post

Squad
Dwayne Bravo (Captain)
Darren Bravo
Jason Holder
Leon Johnson
Sunil Narine
Kieron Pollard
Denesh Ramdin
Ravi Rampaul
Kemar Roach
Andre Russell
Darren Sammy
Marlon Samuels
Lendl Simmons
Dwayne Smith
Jerome Taylor

NOTE: Chris Gayle is rehabilitating from an injury

In: Leon Johnson, Dwayne Smith, Marlon Samuels, Jerome Taylor
Out: Kirk Edwards, Chris Gayle, Nikita Miller
Mail

Unread post

Dwayne Smith! Really?

Disappointed not to see Blackwood there.

Is there an agreement to select Sammy for a period of time as his bowling is quite useless and well his batting is hit and miss.

I am also surprised to see Samuels in there as well.
Googley

Unread post

Samuels adn Sammy?

really?!

what have they done to earn their place?

it would be the same thing as picking Kurk!
Gils

Unread post

If Ravi Rampaul can bowl ten overs in two spells then I presume he is fit enough to bowl 17/18 overs in three sessions.
Colin Benjamin

Unread post

This squad is perfect really. Gayle for Johnson when fit, then this is basically the squad i'd take to the 2015 world cup.

Fact Windies middle-order is stronger if a fit & firing Marlon Samuels is in it. Yes his form declined, but he was looking excellent in the CPL. So i'm glad our two legend selectors is willing to give him a chance.

I could very well & have egg on my face if Windies once again don't play to obvious potential of this squad, but i sense WI can win both the ODI & tests on this tour, or at least draw the test series. Just like when ENG came on won in India 2012, IND are very vulnerable & could be their for the taking.

Narine's role in this series (especially the tests) will be super significant. I believe sanity will prevail and he will be picked in the test series.
bossman19TT

Unread post

Skuntuels had a few good months back in 2012...PISS POOR SINCE!

Johnson is de flavour of de month, doubt he will do much if given a chance.
Mail

Unread post

CB,

There is a balance to be struck and how long do you given those with very sporadic performances more chances.

I am saddened to say I totally disagree with you on Samuels. Teams do not seem to do well when he is around and I am not a great fan of how he presents himself but limiting my view to purely cricketing after 156 ODIs, averaging 31 is not good enough.

After all he is not a spring chicken at 33 so Blackwood should have been in his place.

Also Dwayne Smith averages 17 after 91 ODIs, does that not say something? I am perplexed!

Also Holder has shown no improvement as a bowler. I had big hopes for him! Thoughts?

Also what is Sammy doing in that squad? His bowling is as limp as it comes and to even suggest his very occassional swipes down the order will help you out occasionally is so remote.
Last edited by Mail on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Googley

Unread post

Colin Benjamin wrote:This squad is perfect really. Gayle for Johnson when fit, then this is basically the squad i'd take to the 2015 world cup.

Fact Windies middle-order is stronger if a fit & firing Marlon Samuels is in it. Yes his form declined, but he was looking excellent in the CPL. So i'm glad our two legend selectors is willing to give him a chance.

Colin, too many IFs in your argument to conclude that the squad is perfect.

Since when T20 cricket performance is measure for success in ODI? Samuels has been failing badly in recent times except in CPL.

Sammy vs Kurk vs Samuels selection is a toss...they all have been crap of late! The Big "Pu$$y" himself said that India is tough tour...so why take players who are out of touch?
mikesiva

Unread post

This is the India A squad for the warm-ups on October 3 and 5:

Squad: Manoj Tiwary (capt), Unmukt Chand, M Vijay, Karun Nair, Kedar Jadhav, Sanju Samson, Stuart Binny, Parvez Rasool, Amit Mishra, Jasprit Bumrah, Dhawal Kulkarni, Rahul Shukla, Karn Sharma, Gurkeerat Singh

Damn, this squad could beat our ODI XI!
:mrgreen: