West Indies announce ODI squad for Dhaka Bank Cup Series

West Indies cricket discussions
WIndiesFans.com

Unread post

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – The West Indies Cricket Board announced on Saturday a 13-member squad for the three One-day Internationals in the Dhaka Bank Cup Series against Bangladesh later this month.

Read full article...
Colin Benjamin

Unread post

Not a bad squad really. I know Edwards has done pretty well in recent ODIs, but i might have been tempted to keep Samules in this team given his improved form during the CPL.

Presuming this was the last squad picked by the Butts led panel, he once again missed an oppurtunity to recall chanderpaul to open the batting in preparation for the world cup.

WI ODI teams need more batsmen who can rotate strike better instead of the plethora of boundaries hitter we have. That Gayle/Chanders partnership is one of best in WI ODI history also.

I am suspecting the reason Taylor has been left out, is because he played the CPL, while Roach is recalled because he hasn't. Both are the main test bowlers, so it makes sense if i'm guessing the selectors right, to manage their workload. Presumably both Taylor/Roach will be in the world cup squad next year.
Gils

Unread post

Three West Indian allrounders that are better than Andre Russell, I dont think so.

Not subjectively or by the stats, and you wonder why I say Yard should bruk weh.
AFRO

Unread post

I can't agree regarding Chanderpaul Colin. The guy is 40 years old now man and has a habit of running out partners in the one dayers..time to leave that chapter in the past and move forward.
mikesiva

Unread post

Our ODI team hasn't dominated the world since dropping Shiv, and I don't expect much to change....

Squad
Dwayne Bravo (captain)
Darren Bravo
Kirk Edwards
Christopher Gayle
Jason Holder
Nikita Miller
Sunil Narine
Kieron Pollard
Denesh Ramdin
Ravi Rampaul
Kemar Roach
Darren Sammy
Lendl Simmons

I can't complain much about these selections....

Cue some victories over a weak Bangladesh side, and cue Afro telling us how they are world-beaters after doing so....
8-)
Colin Benjamin

Unread post

AFRO wrote:I can't agree regarding Chanderpaul Colin. The guy is 40 years old now man and has a habit of running out partners in the one dayers..time to leave that chapter in the past and move forward.
Chanderpaul had said before the super50 this year that he still wants to play ODI cricket and is available for all formats - http://www.guyanatimesgy.com/2014/01/12 ... l-formats/. If you best batsman says that, why should age stop him from being picked?

England took Alec Stewart to the 2003 world cups respectively because they best keeper at the time, due to the younger options not stepping up. Same thing applies to windies ODI team and the opening partner for Gayle.

WI ODI record has been poor since 2011 W-Cup, one of the main problems is the lack of batsmen who can build an innings like C'Paul. Too much T20 style batters who want to hit boundaries and are inept at rotating strike.

On the wickets of AUS/NZ for the 2015 world cup where the fast bowlers will get assistance - we need some cultured batsmen in the team.