Lloyd to head new selection panel

West Indies cricket discussions
WIndiesFans.com

Unread post

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – Legendary former captain Clive Lloyd has been appointed the new Convenor of the West Indies selection panel.

Read full article...
Colin Benjamin

Unread post

I like what Mr Pybus is trying to do here, getting the legends involved in key decision making position in Windies cricket, we need that right now.

Butts/Haynes did some ok things, but some of their selections were poor. But of course at times they weren't helped by the WICB directors influencing the way they picked squads. Non more ridiculous than Sammy being made test skipper for those irritating 3 years.
mapoui2

Unread post

I dont care what the pie bus does. he is not needed here.

this on paper is a better selection committee. but the bureau is not making joke abut placing and keeping itself in charge. the bureau has demoted the captain to observer where he was once he man in the show, the star with all the power.

no more! where once the captain pik the side now he does not even have a vote in selection. the game is now a game of officials not players on the field. the captain after all is LABOUR, A WORKING CLASS MAN.... NOT A GENTLEMAN! NOT A PARASITE ARISTOCRAT BUT LABOUR!
AFRO

Unread post

Yep i'm glad they've finally let the cat out of the bag.. :D . They had their meeting and it was a matter of either the selectors or Gibbo goes. This time they went for the selectors and they've made some BRILLIANT decisions...it's a fresh start and i know Lloyd and Walsh ain't no fools, they know their cricket.

So now Pybus has removed Sammy, Butts and co so who is the last one standing? :lol: Gibbo is on borrowed time and NEEDS to have a good series against Bang for sure.
Colin Benjamin

Unread post

Ha ye Afro, I'm starting to like Pybus, the Narine axing from NZ test series was wrong - but his approach has been good. Clearing out all the dead wood appointmentts from the Hunte/Hilaire admin.

I also think manager Richie Richardson should be vulnerable too, I'm not sure if he has been very impactful in the role. To me the best man managers in caribbeaan are trini's Omar Khan & Colin Borde.

If Gibson is removed as coach top three candidates to replace him should be: Lockheart Sebastian, Jimmy Adams & Phil Simmons.
AFRO

Unread post

Colin Benjamin wrote:Ha ye Afro, I'm starting to like Pybus, the Narine axing from NZ test series was wrong - but his approach has been good. Clearing out all the dead wood appointmentts from the Hunte/Hilaire admin.

I also think manager Richie Richardson should be vulnerable too, I'm not sure if he has been very impactful in the role. To me the best man managers in caribbeaan are trini's Omar Khan & Colin Borde.

If Gibson is removed as coach top three candidates to replace him should be: Lockheart Sebastian, Jimmy Adams & Phil Simmons.
Jimmy has some fans at board level from what i gather... i've told my links about Robin Singh too!!..if he manages to win the CPL with the Tridents i think he will really put his name high up on the list :mrgreen: .

I also agree regarding the manager...that change could come once Gibbo is out the door tbh.
mikesiva

Unread post

"Legendary former captain Clive Lloyd has been appointed the new Convenor of the West Indies selection panel. This follows a decision of the West Indies Cricket Board not to renew the contracts of members of the current West Indies selection panel. The WICB announced on Saturday that former West Indies fast bowlers Eldine Baptiste and Courtney Walsh have been appointed to the new panel which also includes former West Indies wicketkeeper/batsman Courtney Browne – who has been retained – and current West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson, as well as the respective West Indies captain as a non-voting member. Previous chairman, former Test off-spinner Clyde Butts and former leg-spin all-rounder Robert Haynes have made way for the new panel."

A move in the right direction...Butts and Haynes were mediocre cricketers at best on the international stage, though how the Bajans Browne and Gibson have kept their places on the panel is beyond me. Still, Lloyd, Walsh and Baptiste were class players in their day. But do they have much to choose from? The cupboard looks quite bare to me....
Gils

Unread post

There must be a hell of a lot of talent in the region, :?: how else can so many scouts be justified.
mapoui2

Unread post

Still, Lloyd, Walsh and Baptiste were class players in their day. But do they have much to choose from? The cupboard looks quite bare to me..
its also getting the best out of what you have..creating an overall positive and creative approach that produces better satisfying results and a sense of well-being that draws, not repels people to the west indian game..including young talent that might choose to head elsewhere for the mess that is currently the west indian game of cricket.

from past experience Lloyd can at least do that..marshall up the forces to set a real good line into the future. when Lloyd was available for Guyana in the Shell Shield years ago he used to take Bacchus and dem fellas and dem and make an unbeatable combination out of a side that used to loose up to then.

thats the kind of thing I am talking about
mapoui2

Unread post

I know yuh vex with me GILs but I am not with you. you cyar take critique and fight back if yuh have to. yuh hol' emotional opinion and woe to those who tread on them.... :)

I agree with you on Richardson. Richardson should not be anywhere near a west indian cricket admin for his Tom attitude. Gibson too..and Browne too. we doh need no dam scout..and the women can take care of their own cricket..even under wicb rubric.

gih Courtney something useful to do...like sending his skunt up the Dots to help them revamp their club structure.... or send his rarse home :o