Caribbean outdoor season 2013

Pace like fire!
mikesiva

Unread post

There were some shocks at the Jamaican and Trinidad national trials....

Men's 100m final....

1) Usain Bolt 9.94
2) Kemar Bailey-Cole 9.98
3) Nickel Ashmeade 9.99
4) Nesta Carter 10.14
5) Jason Livermore 10.18
6) Oshane Bailey 10.20
7) Asafa Powell 10.22
8) Winston Barnes 10.25

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to see Ashmeade making the 100m at the World Champs, after his heartbreak at the Trials last year. And Carter was well-beaten into fourth....

This men's relay final is going to look very different, no Michael Frater, no Asafa Powell, Carter behind KBC and Ashmeade in the pecking order.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'The biggest shock was perhaps Asafa Powell's seventh-place finish in 10.22; not even good enough for a spot in the relay pool as it stands. "For me, Asafa has been through a lot this season, this is probably his third race he actually finished, so I'm surprised he actually came out here and finished a race, so for me, that's good. Now he can go on the circuit and make some money and get it done," offered Bolt, sparing a thought for Powell.'

"Ristananna Tracey, 54.52, won the 400m hurdles ahead of Danielle Dowie and Nickiesha Wilson, who both posted 54.94....The men's 400m hurdles was won by Olympic finalist Leford Green, 49.20, over Annsert Whyte, 49.30, and Isa Phillips, 49.20, in a close finish....Kemoy Campbell, the national record holder at 5000m with a time of 13.32.82 set earlier this season, was well ahead of the rest of the pack in winning last night, but finished outside of the B qualifying standard of 13:20.00 for the World Championships and will have to make the mark before July 29 if he is to compete in Moscow."

Women's 100m final....

1) Kerron Stewart 10.94
2) Sherone Simpson 11.03
3) Schillonie Calvert 11.07

Good to see both Kerron and Sherone back in the frame....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/1 ... 70511.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Reigning men’s 100 metres champion Keston Bledman ran his qualifying heat under protest, on the opening day of the NAAA Sagicor General/NGC National Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, late yesterday. Bledman was disqualified for a false start. He chose to run under protest, and topped heat seven in 10.19 seconds. However, up to press time, there was no official word on the status of his protest. The other heat winners, yesterday, were Jamol James (10.24), Emmanuel Callender (10.31), Richard “Torpedo” Thompson (10.39), John Mark Constantine (10.39), Aaron Armstrong (10.43), Ayodele Taffe (10.47), Rondel Sorrillo (10.52), and Justin Maloney (10.80)."
mikesiva

Unread post

"Kelly-Ann Baptiste bolted to a new national record at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, yesterday, the US-based sprinter stopping the clock at 10.83 seconds to retain her NAAA Sagicor General/NGC National Open Track and Field Championship women’s 100 metres title. Baptiste separated herself from the field early on, before pulling away for a commanding victory. The Zenith Tobago athlete bettered her own Trinidad and Tobago standard—the 10.84 clocking she had produced in Florida, USA, back in 2010. Baptiste is now at the top of the 2013 world performance list, moving past newly-crowned US champion English Gardner and her fellow-American Barbara Pierre, both sprinters having clocked 10.85 at the US Championships in Iowa, on Friday. Michelle-Lee Ahye was the best of the rest in yesterday’s final at the Crawford Stadium, the Rebirth sprinter clocking a personal best 11.06 seconds for silver, behind Baptiste. Bronze was bagged by Kai Selvon, in 11.23, while fourth spot went to Semoy Hackett (11.30). Keston Bledman held on to his men’s 100m title with a wind-assisted scorcher in the final. Pushed by an illegal 3.2 metres per second following wind, the Simplex speedster got to the line in 9.86 seconds. Richard “Torpedo” Thompson finished second in 9.91, and Rondel Sorrillo clocked 9.99 to secure third spot. Bledman led all qualifiers into the final with a windy 10.05 run in the first of three semifinal heats. On Friday, Bledman was disqualified for a false start in his preliminary round heat, but ran under protest and won the race in 10.19. He also won the protest, and was free to compete in the semis."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/R ... 41261.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Parchment, was going through his paces at the Stadium East warm up track earlier, when he reportedly twisted his ankle after crashing into a hurdle and falling badly and had to withdraw from the 110m hurdles final, which was eventually won by Andrew Riley in 13.35. Dwight Thomas was second in a B qualifying time of 13.45 with Eric Keddo third in 13.72. Riley in his post race interview blamed the organisers for Parchment's injury, pointing to a poorly lit warm-up track and the absence of basic equipments such as starting blocks. Parchment, who recently lowered his own national record to 13.05, is one of two Jamaicans with an A standard qualifying time for the IAAF World Championships; the other being Riley, and is also ranked in the top three in the world, which means that he will still be considered for selection to the August 10 - 18 championships set for Moscow."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=45936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Natoya Goule ran 1:59.93 to win the women's 800m, and book her trip to Moscow....
mikesiva

Unread post

"Warren Weir was the most impressive winner on the night, as he pounced on the opportunity to stamp his class on the 200m field in the absence of Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake in the event at the 2013 Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association/Supreme Ventures Limited National Senior Championships inside the National Stadium. Weir was extremely comfortable in winning, as his time of 19.79 seconds was a new personal best and joint second world leading. The London Olympics bronze medallist made sure that the emphatic nature of his victory was noticed by all, approaching the finish line with hands outstretched then thumping his chest in Usain Bolt-like fashion. “I am just letting the world know and Jamaica know it wasn’t a fluke; this one is for real,” said Weir after the race. “I wanted to run a fast time, to win and make a statement and I think I accomplished that.” Nickel Ashmeade was placed second in a time of 20.06 with Jason Liveremore third in 20.13, as both booked their places for the sprint double at this summer’s World Championships. Meanwhile, Olympic 200m silver medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce though not showboating was just as impressive in winning the female equivalent in a time of 22.13 seconds. “I am very happy this evening, because I think I executed well,” Fraser-Pryce shared. “Overall I am pleased with the time and the season is still young and many more races to come.” Sherome Simpson also booked her place for the sprint double, as she was second in 22.55 with Anneisha McLauglin taking third to complete the MVP sweep with a time of 22.58. Novlene Williams-Mills continued her dominance in the 400m on local soil to win with a season best clocking of 50.01 seconds, seeing off new kid on the block Stephenie-Ann McPherson. McPherson was second with a time of 50.28 seconds with Patricia Hall taking third in 51.13 seconds."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=45954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Sisters Danielle and Shermaine Williams will represent Jamaica in the women’s sprint hurdles at the Moscow World Championships later this year. Danielle won the event clocking 12.69 seconds at the National Trials over Andrea Bliss (12.91) with Shermaine in third. The times of the top three runners attained the ‘A’ standard qualifying requirement."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Si ... z2X7T6BKqd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;